Volume 9, Issue 3 - June/July 2007
Designed for You
For any of you who missed the annual Independents’ Days Conference in Las Vegas in May, I, along with the rest of the Independent Glass Association (IGA) Board of Directors, am sorry you were unable to attend. You missed an array of valuable seminars, along with a good chance to catch up with fellow IGA members and prospective members—not to mention the trade show, which offered a slew of new products.
Along with all of these new products and seminars, the IGA took the chance to introduce some new services at the conference. For those of you not able to attend, I’d like to take this opportunity to share a few of these services with you here.
Free AGRSS Registration
At the conference, there was a session called “AGRSS Session: Special Bonus.” For all IGA member companies that attended this seminar and were not previously AGRSS-registered, IGA agreed to pay their registration fees and first year’s AGRSS fees if they signed up by June 30.
The IGA’s web-based learning, manuals and certification program will be available later this year. Testing can be completed online.
The certification lasts for a period of two years, and once that period is up, you can keep your certification current by taking three qualified professional courses a year.
All new applicants are expected to have a minimum of six months experience on the job at a bona-fide auto glass replacement company; a minimum of 50 percent of the applicant’s annual employment must be dedicated to auto glass replacement work; and he must demonstrate his competency in basic skills.
To learn more about this new program, please visit www.igacertification.org.
Legislative Alert and Action System
This program allows our director of operations, Patrick Smith, to send us alerts from his headquarters in Virginia when legislation around the country that could affect our industry is up for debate. In Minnesota this allowed us to not only halt an amendment the insurance industry was trying to make to a bill—but to also put forth our own proposed amendment to the bill.
I’m sure many successes like this one will result from this new ability. Patrick receives his alerts daily and will pass them on to us as necessary.
The campaign will provide our members with consumer brochures, radio and television advertising scripts, postcards, sample press releases and sample scripts.
Instant Analysis Program
What’s to Come
IGA Launches New Services
1. Free AGRSS Registration – At certain undisclosed times of the year, IGA will pay its members’ registration fees to AGRSS.
2. IGA Certification – The association debuted its certification and training program.
3. Legislative Alert and Action System – Through this program, the association will keep members up to date regarding proposed legislative changes that will affect their businesses.
4. Anti-Steering Campaign – The IGA is launching an effort to inform consumers about what steering is and how to avoid it.
5. Instant Analysis Program – This service will provide members with access to an up-to-date analysis of newly released correspondence from insurance companies and networks.
6. Guide to Contracts – The IGA is producing a series of booklets explaining what various contracts relevant to its members mean, including Safelite’s network contract, State Farm’s O&A contract, etc.
7. Ethics Accountability Program – The association will promote ethical standards to insurers and competitor administrators (third-party administrators), particularly in these groups’ communication with their insureds.
8. IGA Fall Meeting – IGA will hold a Fall Conference, in addition to the annual meeting, in conjunction with NACE.9. Jobs4You – This Internet marketing program will refer jobs to IGA member shops.10. Regional Training Programs – IGA plans to begin training programs in various regions of the United States. www.iga.org
Dave Zoldowski is president of Auto One in Brighton, Mich., and serves as president of the Independent Glass Association (IGA). Mr. Zoldowski’s opinions are solely his own and not necessarily those of this magazine.